Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
New York NY
Title: Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Location: New York, NY
Occupational Category: Nurse
Description: Our client, a network of Family Health Centers with locations throughout New York City, is currently seeking to hire a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner will provide care to patients and consultations to physical health and mental health practitioners in the areas of mental health prevention, intervention, and rehabilitation.
- Assess and evaluate patients in various settings by documenting history, completing psychosocial assessments, mental status exams, risk assessments, make observation of behaviors/interaction, assess and diagnose.
- Render diagnostic and dispositional judgment and facilitate the patient s movement into appropriate services. Refer for more specialized testing and evaluation if indicated.
- Develop, plan, and implement care for each patient, with their involvement to the fullest extent of their abilities. When appropriate, involve significant others including family and other providers of services including residential providers and case managers. Discharge planning including the referral and linkage of patients to appropriate resources.
- Prescribe medications as needed. Appropriately monitor patient s psychotropic medication regimen.
- Assist patients to achieve their highest level of functioning and achieve symptom elimination or maintenance of symptom stability as clinically appropriate using multiple treatment modalities (individual, group, family), health teaching and counseling.
- Provide case management to ensure an integrated treatment plan inclusive of the patient s bio-psychosocial situation to enhance quality patient care. Case management services include: advocacy, support, treatment and integrated service planning between agencies to assure that patients have access to all services available to them both within the health system and in the community at large.
- Provide home and field visits when necessary for crisis intervention, risk assessment, and collaboration with other agencies.
- Experience in ambulatory psychiatric and healthcare settings.
- Knowledge and skill in working with SMI and patients with co-occurring substance abuse disorders.
- Knowledge and skill in psychopharmacology.
- MA or M.S in Psychiatric or Mental Health Nursing.
- New York State recognized training as a nurse practitioner with a specialty in Psychiatry. Instruction satisfactory to the Education Department of New York State to issue prescriptions.
- New York State R.N. License, Certification as a Nurse Practitioner in New York State with a specialty in psychiatry.
- Certification to treat children and adolescents preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred