Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (NP)
Fairfield County, CT
Title: Psychiatry Nurse Practitioner (NP)
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Occupational Category: Nurse
Hours: Full-time, Mondays- Fridays 9:00am-5:00 pm , 1 weekend a month
Description: Psychiatry Nurse Practitioner (NP) will provide professionally skilled psychiatric evaluation, treatment, and appropriate disposition of patients presenting with psychiatric symptomatology. This service will be provided to patients in the hospital ED, psychiatric ED Hold, inpatient psychiatry unit and general hospital units. NP will perform the duties under the supervision of the Unit Chief, Inpatient Psychiatry or designee.
- Performs medical and psychiatric history taking, utilizes appropriate diagnostic techniques and prepares a comprehensive psychiatric assessment report.
- May order and review lab data, radiological examinations, and diagnostic tests.
- Completes accurate and appropriate orders; develops treatment plans in conjunction with physician; documents all aspects of care according to standards. Does regular follow-ups with patient based on clinical need.
- Recognizes and evaluates patients who require immediate attention of a physician, and when necessary, initiates emergency psychiatric treatments.
- Provides necessary education, instruction, and counseling as indicated after assessing the learning needs of the patient and family.
- Conducts Managed Care pre-certifications for patients requiring admission to inpatient psychiatric care.
- Keeps track of all consultations done by the Consultation-Liaison team and makes monthly report to Department Chair.
- Performs history and physical examination on patients admitted to inpatient psychiatry unit.
- Performs Psychiatric care of patients on the Inpatient Psychiatry unit as well as in Psychiatry Consultation Liaison Service, under the supervision of Unit Chief or designee.
- Prepares and submits accurate professional bills to hospital billing agency.
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of CT.
- A Master s degree is required for entry level practice.
- An APRN license in the state of CT is required.
- Certification in specialty area of psychiatry.
- DEA and Controlled Substance Registration.
- 2-3 years of psychiatry work experience is preferred