Operating Room Manager (RN)
Westchester County, NY
Title: Operating Room Manager (RN)
Location: Westchester County, NY
Occupational Category: Nurse
Description: Our client, an affiliate of a nationally recognized tertiary care medical center, is currently seeking to hire an Operating Room Manager. The Operating Room Manager will manage the performance of the OR team and communicate daily with surgeons and anesthesia on flow, efficiency, and PT care issues. The Operating Room Manager has the responsibility and authority for the clinical coordination of patient care to a specific unit for 24 hours.
Responsibilities of the Operating Room Manager include:
- Develops Unit based standards consistent with the philosophy of Nursing Services, as well as standards established by A.O.R.N. Assesses and documents physical, psychological and social dimensions of patients.
- Directly responsible for an OR staff which consists of 10 40 R.N., L.P.N, Techs, Chart Coordinators and Nursing Assistants
- Monitors clinical practice and unit systems to promote a culture of safety.
- Facilitates and/or participates in staff conferences to discuss and manage difficult/complicated patients and procedures to develop a plan of action which assures and assists patient/ family/ surgeon desired outcome.
- Manages performance of an OR team consisting of two Team Leaders, eight Service Managers, 30-40 RN/LPN/Surgical Tech s, and 8 orderlies, with a focus on room and team readiness to facilitate turnover time and maintain set standards for turnover time.
- Communicates daily with surgeons and anesthesia on flow, efficiency, and PT care issues, and follows up accordingly.
- Participates in weekly OR schedule forecasts meetings with Business Manager, CSS Manager, OR Biomed Engineer, Clean Core Manager, Scheduling Coordinator and Surgical Nurse Practitioner, to determine staffing needs, equipment needs/conflicts, room changes, PT care needs, etc.
- Responsible for monthly schedule of 40-50 full time, part time, and per diem employees.
- Plans, coordinates and organizes staffing assignments based on block time and skill level.
- Continually monitors and adjusts staffing levels on various shifts to maintain efficiency in schedule flow.
- Determines the need for additional staffing and, with the Associate Director of the OR and the Surgical Services Director, budgets accordingly.
- Minimum of BSN required (ex. BSN, MSN, or Doctorate in Nursing)
- Currently licensed as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State
- CNOR preferred
- National Nurse Manager Certification required within 3 years of hire date
- Leadership Academic graduation required within 2 years of hire date