OR Nurse (RN)
Fairfield County, CT
Title: General OR Nurse
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Occupational Category: Nurse
Description: Our Client, a non-for-profit community teaching hospital in Connecticut, is seeking to hire a General OR Nurse. This registered nurse will effectively deliver perioperative care to the surgical patient through the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation.
- Provide safe patient care by verifying patient identification and assuring the presence of the necessary documents, laboratory tests, consents, equipment, radiology images and implants.
- Deliver patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation and evaluation.
- Adhere to aseptic practices to protect patients from injury, minimize wound contamination and reduce patient risk for surgical site infection.
- Apply basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology, and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
- Comply with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infectious body fluids, chemical disinfectants and other hazardous substances.
- Problem-solve in relation to the procedure being performed and respond appropriately to emergencies or changes in procedure.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and anticipate surgeon?s needs when scrubbed on any surgical procedure.
- Account for accurate sponge, sharp and instrument counts, correct medication labeling on the sterile field, and correct handling and labeling of specimens.
- Accurately document pertinent information, observations, and all aspects of patient care in a timely manner.
- Maintain knowledge of surgical techniques, instrumentation, equipment, and supplies necessary for procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of sterilization and instrument processing.
- Assist with the training and clinical precepting of students and new employees.
- CNOR certification preferred
- Current Connecticut nursing license required
- BLS certification required
- Minimum 2 years previous experience in either a hospital or ambulatory surgical center setting required.