Title: Genetic Counselor
Location: Queens, NY
Occupational Category: Allied Health
Description: Hiring a Genetic Counselor for a state-of-the-art healthcare facility affiliated with a renowned medical school. The Genetic Counselor provides genetic counseling services and risk assessment for all patients with family, personal history or abnormal relevant screening or diagnostic test results to determine genetic risks, provide testing options and supportive counseling.
- Provide information and support to families at risk for inherited conditions, birth defects or genetic conditions
- Perform risk assessment with pedigree analysis and estimating recurrence risk, interview patients about pertinent personal and family medical history information.
- Prenatal counseling including explanation of screening and diagnostic testing, coordinating such testing when necessary, follow up and post testing counseling
- Cancer counseling including pre and post counseling, coordination of specimen shipment to appropriate facilities.
- Assisting newborn screening coordinator with relevant tasks including genetic counseling for families with identified or at risk for genetic conditions.
- Entering newborn screening results in patient’s chart
- Coordinating the pediatric clinic once a week that is run with Pediatric Geneticist
- Participates in teaching programs including presentation for genetic topics to support groups, medical students or other affiliated groups
- Provides clinical supervision to genetic counseling students and medical students during their rotations
- When performing all essential functions, maintains confidentiality related to medical records and other patient data
- Participates on interdepartmental, hospital and departmental committees as appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in genetic counseling from an accredited institution.
- Board Eligible or Board Certified from the American Board of Genetic Counseling; if BE, then Board Certification from the American Board of Genetic Counseling within two years of employment
- Certification from the American Board of Genetic Counseling preferred
- At least one-year experience, new graduates may apply
- Strong communication, organization, analytical skills required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced clinic independently as well as in a team setting.
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office package
- Bilingual preferred but not required (Spanish, French, Bengali, Hindi/Punjabi)