Director Laboratory Services
Fairfield County CT
Title: Director Laboratory Services
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Occupational Category: Allied Health
Description: Hiring a Director Laboratory Services for a Health System in Connecticut. Under direction of the Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, and in close collaboration with the Pathology Chairperson, provide operational and strategic leadership to Laboratory Services across the Health System. The Director Laboratory Services is accountable for development and oversight of quality improvement plans. The Director Laboratory Services will have direct administrative responsibility for total operating budget and FTE’s and is supported by the Supervisors and Leads in each core lab area. Responsible for budget preparation, monitoring of revenue, expenses, test volume, and FTE utilization, patient check-in and order entry and overall workflow, and customer and employee satisfaction. Oversees the operations of the core Laboratory to ensure efficient operations, quality and timely results reporting. Provide oversight to those managing the routine day to day operations of the respective laboratory areas, including knowledge of key operations. Responsible for compliance with all regulatory and legal parameters.
- Assist with the development of capital and expense budget for laboratory sections, draw stations, other off-site locations through effective planning for service growth, staffing and equipment needs, benchmarking, documentation of workflow, revision and creation of job descriptions/roles, etc.
- Manage expenses associated with staff, supply inventory, and equipment
- Maintain authority for recruitment, hiring, and discipline processes for laboratory staff.
- Demonstrate understanding of staff needs and mentor/train staff to achieve highest level of productivity and performance while developing/implementing opportunities for staff growth.
- Perform annual reviews, mentoring, and idea sharing with direct reports.
- Establish, review, and update policies and procedures on an annual basis.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies
- Facilitate laboratory participation in all CAP (College of American Pathologists) activities
- Manage customer service and service recovery efforts
- Develop, implement and oversee plans to improve service metrics through continuous attention and commitment. Establish clearly defined service standards and mechanisms for continuous accountability across all sites in collaboration with physician and clinical leadership
- Promote a professional environment in which patient care is delivered. Develop, implement, and oversee plans to improve departmental quality metrics.
- Forecast, prepare and monitor operating and capital budgets for system Laboratory Services. Formulate and approve goals and objectives, plans and budgets
- Bachelor’s degree required with a Master’s degree is highly preferred.
- ASCP certification required.
- Minimum of 10 years of clinical experience in the laboratory, with progressively responsible management experience of a hospital-based laboratory department with a large outreach program
- 5 years of prior management/leadership experience is strongly preferred.
- Hospital work must include significant hands-on experience with all applicable regulatory agencies (TJC, CAP, DPH), as well as fiscal, personnel, project management and new business development
- Prior experience implementing new programs and technologies is highly preferred.
- Experience with Performance Improvement programs. Competency with statistics and statistical analysis is preferred.